12/17/07

We Made it!

So, we arrived safely in Cape Town. We were TIRED and stinky, but we DID make it! All of our luggage made it too- what a relief! Here's a run-down of our 32 hour journey:

Flight Times
San Antonio TX (SAT) to Detroit Metro MI (DTW) on Friday, 2007-12-14 2:57
Flight: KL5064
Depart: 08:23 (SAT)
Arrive: 12:20 (DTW)
Seat(s): 16A 16B 16C 16D 16E 16F
Aircraft: Airbus A32
3hour and 50min layover
Detroit Metro MI (DTW0 Jet on NWA
) to Amsterdam (AMS) on Friday, 2007-12-14 7:55
Flight: KL6040
Depart: 16:10 (DTW)
Arrive: 05:55 (AMS)
Seat(s): 37C 37D 37F 37G 39H 39J
Aircraft: Airbus A330 Jet on NWA
4 hour layover
Amsterdam (AMS) to Cape Town (CPT) on Saturday, 2007-12-15 11:40
Flight: KL0597
Depart: 09:55 (AMS)
Arrive: 22:35 (CPT)
Seat(s): 36D 36E 36F 37D 37E 37F on KLM
Aircraft: Boeing 777 Jet

Lewis took the time Thursday to get all the details for each flight and layover ready. It took a lot of the stress off to know exactly where we'd be, when, and for how long. What an adventure! Matthew took pictures with his camera of the journey on the plane and at the airports, but I don't have a good way to get them on here, yet. I'll work on that.

The kids were great on the flights. Samantha slept for 8 of the almost 12 hours from Amsterdam! The rest of us were dragging pretty bad once we got here. It seemed like an eternity to get through the passport area and customs. When we finally got through, we saw Mom and Dad waiting, and the kids just RAN to love them. We hugged, we cried and hugged some more. Andy and Sami were a little hesitant at first, but it took no time at all for them to be fighting over "MY Grandma!"

We're in the middle of a "farewell" dinner with 16 Sister Missionaries and 7 Elders. They are finishing dessert and then will have a testimony meeting. It's an all-day affair getting dinner and desser tready for 35 people! We'll add more details soon. I'll put a slide show of the pictures I have so far. We're LOVING being here- it's very surreal for sure. Hope you're all doing well- we couldn't be happier!!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I am so impressed. Traveling out of the country (before Christmas) and still managing to get your Christmas cards out! Tanner and I are so excited that you have a blog. I've spent my evening reading all your posts, just to make sure I din't miss anything. (I should be downstairs wrapping presents with James, but this is way funner.) Can't wait to read about your trip. I am sure you are having such an amazing time.

Kelly M said...

OH, I am in TEARS! Happy tears, mostly. :) I'm SO glad you guys are there and having fun!!! And, I had no idea you were updating this blog. . . I haven't been checking. I'm glad you put it on your Christmas card- which is darling. I will definitely be checking daily now to keep up with the fun you are having. I wish I had documented our trip there this well. . . although Dad's journal pages did quite well. :)

Betsy said...

Oh, I'm SO glad to see that you made it and to see pictures of you there. AWESOME!! I'm so jealous!